How To Clean a Dab Pen
Dab pens are for the concentrate enthusiasts, who like to be able to take their dabs any time and anywhere. Dab pens are essential for on the go, but as you all might know concentrates are not the easiest things to clean.
Although, cleaning up concentrate pens can sometimes feel like a chore, it no longer has to. Keeping up to date with regular cleaning routines will help keep your dab pen in tip-top shape.
Cleaning your dab pen no longer has to be something you put off for weeks. We are here to show you the best cleaning processes and just how simple it is to keep your vape feeling like new.
When cleaning your wax vaporizer, you’ll want to make sure to have the right equipment. Now this will not be an extensive list, but they are the absolute necessities you will need to get your pen cleaned. These products are also not expensive and most of them will probably already be in your house.
What you’ll need:
- Cotton swabs
- Isopropyl alcohol (ISO)
- Small glass bowl
- Paper cloths
- Warm water
Like said there are not a lot of things you need to make your vape sessions better, but these few products will help save you money with buying new atomizers and give you a better vaping experience.
Cleaning your dab pen
- The easiest way to start cleaning your dab pen is to set it at the highest voltage or temperature and turn it upside down over a paper cloth or cotton cloth. Doing this allows the heating coils to burn off and melt any leftover sticky residue, resulting in it dripping out so that it is easier to clean with the ISO.
- You will then want to start with filling up a small glass bowl with some ISO. The higher concentration the better, something like the Higher Standards ISO is perfect! If you do not have any ISO rubbing alcohol will do just fine as well.
- Once your atomizer is cooled down you will want to disassemble your device which usually only consists of the battery, the atomizer, and the mouthpiece. Separating them is essential as you do not want any of the alcohol or water getting into the battery of your pen. After you have taken your vaporizer apart you will want to first try to scrape out any leftover residue with a dab tool. You will then get a cotton swab and soak it with ISO to wipe down the inside of the heating chamber, avoiding the coils.
- This step is where the bowl filled with isopropyl alcohol comes into play. If there is more residue that the cotton swab can clean you will want to place the entire atomizer in the bowl. The alcohol will further break down any wax concentrates, you will need to let it sit for at least 30 minutes, some may need more time to clean completely, if this applies to your atomizer you can leave it overnight.
TIP: You will know your atomizer is getting cleaned when the ISO starts turning a brownish color.
- While your atomizer is soaking you will want to clean the thread on the battery. Using a cotton swab with just a little bit of alcohol would work fine, but for tough waxes using a cleaning brush will get the residue off. Cleaning the 510 thread will ensure an easy connection between the battery and atomizer that leads to a tighter draw.
- You will also need to clean the mouthpiece. To do this first you will want to blow in the mouthpiece from where you would pull your vapor from to unclog anything stuck in it. This technique will release most of the residue after you have released most of the stuck wax, use a cotton swab with ISO and wipe down the inside of the mouthpiece.
- After you have cleaned the atomizer rinse it off with warm water and allow it to dry before reassembling your dab pen.
TIP: After reassembling your device run a burn-off session at the highest temperature to ensure there is no alcohol residue left.
Using pointed objects
You may need to get creative with some pointed objects as it is important not to get the cotton swab close to the coils when cleaning, but you will need a way to clean in between the coils. Using a paper clip or safety pin will work great for this, as they can fit into the small spaces. Using pointed objects should be used after the ISO bath for any leftover residue that could be leftover.
Not only are paperclips useful for inside the atomizer on the coils, but can also help clean the mouthpiece. Cleaning the mouthpiece is pretty simple as shown above with a simple wipe down, but anything left will easily be pushed out with a paperclip or safety pin.
What is the easiest atomizer to clean?
For those who do not want to spend a lot of time cleaning their vaporizer pen, the coil atomizer is most likely not your friend. There are many different atomizers, each with its own pros and cons, but the one that you will want for the easiest cleaning is the bowl atomizer. These are easier than the coil atomizers above, simply because there are no coils so there is nothing you will need to clean around.
The coiled atomizers need to be cleaned in more detail because residue can get stuck between the coils and underneath them that make cleaning harder and more time-consuming. The coilless atomizers or bowl atomizers do not have hard-to-reach areas and all you will need to do is get the soaked cotton swab in ISO and wipe it down after sessions. If you are looking for a low-maintenance vape a coilless atomizer is the way to go.
Is it necessary to clean your dab pen?
The short answer to this is YES! The more you use your pen the more build-up occurs, this is true from dry herb vapes to dab/wax pens and everything in between. The build-up will start affecting the flavor and performance of your vaporizer if it is not cleaned regularly. Coming up with a cleaning regime will help not only the performance of your vaporizer but will also save you money as you will not have to purchase atomizers as frequently.
Atomizers depending on usage should last at least one month if not longer with regular cleaning. To get the most from your pen a regular cleaning is crucial, follow the tips above and your pen should be in great condition every use.
Check out: What Can be Used in Dab Pen?
Dab/wax vape pens are some of the most high maintenance vaporizers to clean, but that doesn’t have to mean that it is hard. The sticky residue can affect any session if not cleaned regularly or thoroughly. It is not as difficult as some may think as long as you follow the steps cleaning your vaporizer should be a breeze.
Cleaning regularly cannot be avoided when using a dab pen, if you think that you can just use it and never clean it you will have some serious issues with the quality of your dabs. Cleaning your pen will help the longevity of your vaporizer and atomizer, but at some point, you will need to replace the atomizer. Realizing the point of no return for your atomizer will save money on concentrates in the long run.